Intro to functional movement;
how chiropractic and acupuncture can enhance
the yoga practice
Saturday April 6th, 2pm-4pm
with Sara Scrivano
$15 suggested donation
In this workshop Dr. Sara Scrivano, Chiropractor, Acupuncturist and Herbalist, will provide an introduction to the principles of functional movement. How often are we walking, sitting, standing and carrying things in our day-to-day life? How many times a day do you bend over to pick something up. When is the last time you thought about what your body is actually doing during this movement pattern?
This workshop is intended to deepen your understanding of the biomechanical principles of these simple everyday movements. By becoming aware of these types of movements and understanding the anatomy involved, it’s easier to integrate proper mobility patterns into our yoga practice and into our everyday lives.
This is a two hour workshop, the first hour is designed as a formal lecture and introduction to the material at hand. During this hour we will delve into what functional movement is and how we can implement this information into everyday practice. This section will then provide a brief anatomy lesson, exploring some of the major player muscle groups involved in regular healthy movement.
The second hour will be more active and physically engaging, beginning with a warm up blending gentle yoga postures with dynamic movement. Following warm up we will explore some of the key functional exercises that can be incorporated into regular daily movement to help you move better and feel better.
- First hour — lecture
- 2-2:15 – intro and icebreaker
- 2:15 – 2:30 – explanation about what functional movement is, what types of things we do in our everyday lives that are considered to be ‘functional’ and why this information is important.
- 2:30-3:55 – Brief anatomy lesson on major muscle groups of the pelvis and lower extremity, dysfunction that can happen with the anatomy and what can be done to improve the dysfunction (i.e chiro/acu/movement therapies)
- Small intermission
- Second hour — movement
- 3:05 – 3:15; warm up (cat/cow, dynamic movement), thoracic rotation
- 3:15:-3:55 – understanding and performing various functional exercises:
- Hip hinge, forward fold
- Glute bridge
- Walking hip mobilization
- 3:55: Closing, Q & A