WHAT IS ASHTANGA YOGA?
Ashtanga is a powerful style of yoga that involves matching the movement of the breath with the movement in and out of postures. The focus devoted to correct breathing helps the practitioner to create internal heat, which, over time, purifies the blood and results in a body that is light and strong, and a mind that is focused and calm.
Knowledge of this practice is passed down directly from teacher to student and remains connected to the lineage. The bond between the teacher and the student is very strong. We give thanks to the guru of Ashtanga Yoga, Shri K. Pattabhi Jois, whose teacher was Sri T. Krishnamacharya one of the greatest yogis of the 20th century. Pattabhi Jois, lovingly referred to as Guruji, was a magnetic force and brought yoga to students all over the world. His teachings are passed down through his teachers and most directly through his grandson, R. Sharath, and daughter R. Saraswathi. Click for more on Ashtanga Yoga.
Mysore Style is the traditional way that students are taught the Ashtanga sequence. The yoga room is open for a block of time and the student may enter up to an hour before the end of class and should as leave enough time to finish by the end. The students are taught individually within the group setting and will practice what they have learned with guidance but without being verbally led. The room is quiet except for the sound of the breath.
In the Ashtanga sequence, each posture builds off the previous. Students are given poses one by one, receiving the next posture only after obtaining a level of mastery on the previous. The student’s practice will slowly lengthen as he or she gains strength, stamina, flexibility, and concentration.
All levels are welcome and no prior knowledge of yoga is required. Students should commit to a minimum 3x/week practice and are encouraged to practice the traditional 6 days a week.
Saturdays, New Moon, and Full Moon are observed as rest days. Please check our schedule for rest days.
Led Ashtanga is when the teacher leads the whole class through the sequence together. These classes tend to be slightly faster in pace, as the student will move with the group instead of on his or her own.
We offer Led classes for Beginner, Beginner Plus, Open, and Advanced Levels.
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS?
Who can practice?
Anyone can practice regardless of age, flexibility, gender, experience. There are no drop-ins for Mysore except for visiting students with a regularly established Mysore practice. Trying Mysore classes means giving yourself a month commitment to experience the practice. We welcome you to set up a time to observe if you feel you need a visual before joining. All our Led classes allow drop-ins.
Pregnant women should not practice Ashtanga unless they already have a regular Ashtanga practice
How can I start to practice?
Just come in anytime within the Mysore class up to an hour before the end, or ten minutes before any led class to get registered.
Should I do some led classes before joining Mysore?
Nope. It’s totally unnecessary. You can if you like, but you will learn everything you need to know from the beginning, breath and correct form, in our Mysore classes. Our teachers love teaching all levels especially first timers!
But won't I interrupt the Mysore class if I'm just walking in during the middle?
You won’t be interrupting a thing! Our classes are meant to be run like that with people coming in and out, and all our students are used to it and too focused on their yoga to even notice. Take a look here to see more how it works.
Do you allow visiting students?
Yes! We love visiting students! If you have a regular Mysore practice please feel free to join us as a drop in for Mysore class. If not, you are welcome in any of our Led classes.
Cost for drop-in: $22
What is Led?
Led just means the teacher is in front of the room calling out the poses and everyone does them together. This is different from our Mysore classes where the students move at their own breath pace doing a sequence they learn over time to memorize.
What should I wear?
Wear comfortable, stretchy, form-fitting clothing. Stay away from baggy shirts that may fall towards the face and obstruct breathing in inverted postures.
What do I need to bring?
You can bring a yoga mat or rent one of ours. We also recommend a lock to keep your belongings in our lockers. No items (including water) should be taken into the yoga room.
Are there any times where I shouldn't practice?
Do not come to class if you are running a fever. Women should take the first three days of their menstrual cycle as rest days.
Do you have showers, mats, and lockers??
Yes, we have a shower and we have towel rental as well. We also have lockers which are free to use during your class or can be rented monthly. (Please bring your own lock.) In addition, we offer mat rental and mat storage options. Please see below for our mat storage policy.
POLICIES & PROCEDURES
*What to know before coming to class*
- Mysore classes are membership only except for visiting students with an existing Mysore practice, who may drop-in for $22.
- Mat storage is $15/month run on an automatic monthly renewal. To terminate mat storage and accompanying charges the mat must be picked up and a written request sent to email@example.com.
- Led classes to start on time. Please arrive 5 minutes early. No admission 5 minutes after the start of class.
- Try not to eat four hours before practice.
- Please leave shoes in front and all belongings on the shelves underneath the front bench or in the lockers provided. We try to keep the studio clean and empty.
- Water also should be drunk before and after class but not brought into the studio.
- Remember to wipe down the area around your mat when done.
*Make ups and Membership Holds*
- Land Yoga classes and memberships are Non Transferable and Not Sharable.
- We are unable to make up kids’ classes. We apologize for any inconvenience.
- Expired Led classes can be reinstated if the member purchased a package of equal or greater value. Old classes will then have the expiration date of the new package.
- Land Yoga is under no obligation to hold any membership. As a courtesy, we MAY hold memberships for those students gone for MORE than two weeks. Memberships will not be suspended more than 3 times yearly. All freeze requests should be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org prior to the absence. Verbal and retroactive requests cannot be honored.
- New student and One Month Memberships will not be frozen without renewal.
- All Private sessions have a $25 cancellation/rescheduling fee when changed within a week before the session and will be fully charged if canceled within 24 hours of the session.
- In the event of early cancellation of a package, the student will be charged the difference as if having purchased the next shortest package
*All Sales are final*